Montour Trail links to the Pittsburgh International Airport and the Great Allegheny Passage via connector trails. These are combination limestone-paved trails and on-road sections that help through-travelers easily complete their journeys.
Airport Connector Directions
In general, this connector travels along public roads, airport security trails, and airport’s extended-term parking lot. Part of the route has vehicular traffic.
Heading south toward the Montour Trail
Heading north toward the airport
- On the Montour Trail east of Imperial, turn north onto Enlow Road and continue for 0.8 mile.
- At the fork, do not go straight toward the I-376 parkway underpass. Instead, bear left onto Clinton-Enlow Road to go around airport gate DDD. Travel 2.1 miles. The trail here is part of the airport’s security area, so do not leave the pavement.
- At the fork, turn right onto McCaslin Road. Travel 1.4 miles.
- At the T, turn right onto Clinton Road. Travel 1.08 miles.
- Turn right onto the airport security road — do not leave the paved trail. Travel 0.56 mile. Activate the security light to cross this dangerous intersection.
- Travel .08 mile through the extended-term parking lot, following the signs and pavement markings.
- The trail ends at the end of the building with the moving walkway.
Clairton-McKeesport & GAP Connector Directions
From Clairton/Montour Trail to McKeesport/GAP Trail
The route from the Montour Trail terminus in Clairton to the GAP/Steel Valley Trail in McKeesport shares public roads with traffic.
- At the terminus of the Montour Trail, travel northwest 0.4 mile on N. State Street.
- Turn right at Carnegie Avenue onto the Clairton-Glassport bridge. Travel .45 mile.
- At the end of the bridge, turn left onto Ohio Avenue. Travel 3.0 miles.
- Turn left onto 9th Street. Travel 0.1 mile.
- Turn right onto Allegheny Avenue. Travel 0.22 mile.
- Turn right onto 7th Street, then immediately turn left to continue on Allegheny Avenue. This becomes 3rd Street. Travel 0.7 mile.
- Turn right onto 1st Street. Travel 150 feet.
- Turn left onto Monongahela Avenue. Travel 0.6 mile.
- Bear right to stay on Monongahela Avenue, which becomes West 5th Avenue. Travel 0.4 mile.
- Turn left onto Ramp Number 2 and travel 0.1 mile.
- Turn slight left onto Pacific Street. Travel 0.4 mile.
- Turn right onto Erie Street, which becomes Ramp Number 1. Travel 850 feet.
- Turn left at the end of the ramp onto West 5th Avenue, which becomes Lyle Boulevard. Travel 0.2 miles.
- Make the first right off the bridge/ramp onto Gibson Way. Travel 200 feet.
- Turn right onto 5th Avenue. Travel 300 feet.
- Turn right onto Water street. Travel 350 feet.
- Just before the railroad tracks is the junction with the GAP Trail and Steel Valley section. A right turn takes you north to downtown Pittsburgh; a left turn takes you south, eventually to Washington, DC.
From McKeesport/GAP Trail to Clairton/Montour Trail