To balance the needs of all Trail users with those of groups wishing to hold an organized event or special activity, the Montour Trail Council has an Event Policy to regulate group-event planning.
Small, informal events (small organized walks, runs or rides) involving 25 or fewer participants are encouraged. Organizers of these do not need to get MTC approval if the event meets general requirements and:
- No fee or donation is charged to participate.
- Contributions are not solicited.
- There is no organized distribution of food, beverages, literature, or promotional items.
- Nothing is sold.
If you cannot meet all these requirements, you must submit an official application.
Large, formal events have more than 25 participants and require that the sponsor fill out an application and return it to MTC, which will assign it to an appropriate group for approval/coordination.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- The application must be received by MTC at least 8 weeks prior to the event.
- The sponsor must provide a certificate of public liability insurance.
- In addition, large events must follow general event requirements.
Event Application Process
Those who plan any event requiring MTC approval must make decisions about a number of considerations, from parking to tables/booths to restrooms to trash/clean-up, and more. MTC’s event application process assists sponsors with this planning.
We recommend that you review MTC’s detailed event policy as your first step.
NOTE: Events planned on the Arrowhead Trail in Peters Township (the paved portion of the Trail from Route 19 to Brush Run Road) are managed by that Township, not by MTC. Contact the Peters Parks and Recreation Department for more information.
MTC’s downloadable application form has input elements embedded so that the information can be entered from Adobe Acrobat and submitted via email. You may also print the form and complete it on hard copy.
If you have any additional questions, contact email@example.com.
General Event Requirements
Any event, regardless of size, must follow these requirements:
- Event or special activity sponsor is a not-for-profit entity.
- All participants must be made aware of Trail rules and safety/etiquette guidelines.
- Sponsors must ensure that rules and recommendations are followed, as other Trail users may not be aware of the event.
- Minors must be sufficiently supervised by adults. Event participants are considered guests on the Montour Trail and should impact other users as little as possible.
- The event cannot require Trail closure or restrict others’ use of paths or parking.
- The event cannot conflict with events sponsored by MTC.
- No event-related signage is permitted on the Trail or its structures unless authorized in advance by MTC.
- No setting up tables, tents, chairs, signs, or booths on Trail property or parking lots unless authorized in advance.
- No trespassing on adjoining property owners’ land.
- Sponsor must remove all trash generated from the event. Trash may not be placed in MTC receptacles. If you bring it in, take it out!